PublicUp one level
Public Programs at PARI include visiting and tours, volunteers, Friends of PARI, and a Citizen Science Project
- The public is welcome to join us at PARI to engage in "learning science by doing science."
- Volunteer Events Calendar
- Current calendar of public and special events at PARI that require volunteer assistance or are opportunities for volunteers to train on special tasks. Volunteers should contact Christi Whitworth (email@example.com or (828) 862-5554) to confirm help with each event. In order to plan our tasks more efficiently, we must insist that you email or phone no later than 24 hours before a Volunteer Weekend to let us know if you will be able to attend and help. Types of Volunteer Opportunities at PARI 1. Daily Volunteer - Handle PARI phone calls, mailouts, database entry, maintain PARI library and paper filing work. 2. Docents - Learn PARI history and facts then conduct public tours on Wednesday afternoons and at special events. 3. Special Projects - such as the Astronomical Photographic Data Archive (APDA) 4. Event Assistance - Provide assistance to PARI staff during events such as Space Science Lab, and Evening at PARI.
- A financial contribution automatically confers membership in Friends of PARI. Different opportunities are available to members.
- Citizen Scientist: The Stellar Classification Project
- The public is invited to classify stars that have never been observed before by astronomers.
- Citizen Scientist: Astronomy With the PARI 4.6-m Radio Telescope
- The public is invited to explore the data archives of the 4.6-m radio telescope at PARI.