- This event has passed.
Camp – A Rovers Journey
July 19 - July 30
A ROVERS JOURNEY (learning made fun for all students)
(Robotics, sensors, AI)
We have long sought to make life easier by building devices to do work for us. Some are simple and do just one task, others are complex and make human like decisions based on information sensed from the world around them. Come join us as we examine basic automatons and complex rovers that explore other planets and extreme environments on Earth.
After gaining an understanding of the hardware, software, and concepts that govern robotics, campers will build their own robot to take a unique journey and collect information from their environment and determine their path. Creativity and skill will reveal which designs succeed at their tasks and rise to the top, and which spin aimlessly in circles.
• Learn basic components of robots and how to pull them together to make a complete design
• Discuss the ethical implications of building robots
• Explore the strategies that separate basic commands from artificial intelligence
• Experiment with different sensors to see what they can reveal about the world around us
• Pit your robot against others to see which design works best
• Practice the basics of coding for micro-controllers, the brains of robots
• Recreational and fun activities, including exploring the gifts of the Blue Ridge mountains. May include day trips such as hiking and picnicking, visits to waterfalls and swimming, tubing (with professional outfitters), interacting with other local camp activities, places and events.