Camp – Astro Explorers – Mini Session
June 28 - July 9
ASTRO EXPLORERS (learning made fun for all students)
(Computational Thinking, 3D design and printing, data and animation, communications, planetary geography)
Take a deep look into how computers store and work with data that represents complex ideas. Campers will learn techniques to find patterns in data and display it in vibrant and creative ways like animations, with the help of a little bit of coding.
Explore, map and 3D print the exact, legendary locations that Neil Armstrong took his “one giant leap for mankind,” and the mammoth Martian volcano Olympus Mons! This Lunar & Planetary Institute recognized camp not only teaches 3D design and printing, but also gives campers the exciting opportunity to explore planetary geology, and tactile communication like Braille by utilizing data from NASA satellites to model the surfaces of the Moon and Mars!
• Learn basic coding to creatively show patterns in data by letting your imagination steer you
• Learn basic 3D modeling and printing techniques
• Experience different techniques we use to communicate information to others
• Use these techniques by learning how to work with data that represents the surface of planets
• Learn about geological differences between the moon and mars
• Recreational and fun activities, including exploring the gifts of the Blue Ridge mountains. May include day trips such as hiking and picnicking, visits to waterfalls and swimming, tubing (with professional outfitters), interacting with other local camp activities, places and events.