- This event has passed.
Camp- Secrets of a Spy Station
June 7 - June 12
SECRETS OF A SPY STATION (learning made fun for all students)
(Cryptography and secret messages)
Campers will be immersed in the setting of former Department of Defense Spy Station where secret messages were intercepted so they could be decoded and used to aid National Security. We will explore the history of how codes and cyphers came to be and evolved over the years from written messages to complex digital encryption methods. Campers will learn how to recreate these techniques themselves, and crack the messages sent by their fellow cryptographers, all while reinforcing skills in math, language, and pattern recognition.
From messages based on playing with words, numbers, to information hidden in plain sight within images and everyday objects you’d never suspect, campers will leave with an understanding of the principals that drive the world of secrets and spies.
• Learn to recognize patterns in the English language
• Apply math skills in creative ways to form secret messages
• Participate in challenges to decipher messages written by others
• Learn the history of cryptography and cutting-edge techniques that keep the internet safe
• Recreational and fun activities, including exploring the gifts of the Blue Ridge mountains. May include
excursions around the site such as hiking and picnicking.